Friday, December 5, 2014

Book Review- If I Stay

Title- If I Stay
Author- Gayle Forman
Pages- 201
Rating- 4 out of 5
Companion/Sequel/Other- Companion


Goodreads Synopsis- 
Choices. Seventeen-year-old Mia is faced with some tough ones: Stay true to her first love—music—even if it means losing her boyfriend and leaving her family and friends behind?
Then one February morning Mia goes for a drive with her family, and in an instant, everything changes. Suddenly, all the choices are gone, except one. And it's the only one that matters.
If I Stay is a heartachingly beautiful book about the power of love, the true meaning of family, and the choices we all make.
 
What I Loved-

1) The Story! I absolutely loved the storyline for this story. It was heartbreakingly beautiful and I found myself very intrigued. This deals with life, family, first love, music, and choices. It had a very powerful message in quite a rather short story.

2) Now and then Perspectives! This story is written in Mia's point of view. However it's her point of view in the present and in the past. It switches throughout the book. I found it to be very interesting. I know that some people didn't like this part of the story, however I found myself really enjoying it. And personally, I felt as though it fit the story very well.

3) The Characters! I found myself enjoying the characters immensely. They were all great to read about. I absolutely loved her parents. I thought they were so awesome. As well as the friendship between Mia and Kim.

What I Didn't Love 
1) The Ending! Now this is not to say that I hated the ending. Honeslty, I was quite enjoying it until the last page. Personally, I felt as though this book could have been fine as a stand alone. All it really need was a few more pages, possible a chapter, and I feel as though this story could have wrapped up perfectly. 

2) The Romance! Overall, I enjoyed the romance between Mia and Adam. I thought, that for the most part, they were great together. What annoyed me though, was at times, I felt as though I really didn't feel the connection between them. I would be reading and the connection would be there, and then all of a sudden I wouldn't feel it anymore. It was a bit frustrating.


                                                     FAVORITE QUOTES 

“I realize now that dying is easy. Living is hard.”

“Sometimes you make choices in life and sometimes choices make you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment