Thursday, June 26, 2014

Book Review- Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Title- Hex Hall  
Author- Rachel Hawkins  
Pages- 310  
Rating- 3.5 out of 5
Companion/Sequel- First in Trilogy

Goodreads Synopsis- Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

What I Loved-
1) I loved the fact that this book didn't just deal with Witches and Warlocks, but faeries, werewolves, shifters, vampires, and even ghosts.

2) The characters were a lot of fun to read about. Sophie Mercer is very sarcastic and funny, two qualities I love in my characters! Jenna is hilarious as well and she was a lot of fun to read about.

3) I found the magic in this book to be a lot of fun. I mean from Sophie turning a stone into a couch, to having the headmaster put spells in her office to make people see what they want to see, and to conjuring ball gowns (which I admit was my favorite.)

4) The Groundskeeper CAL!! From the first time we met him, I LOVED him. If anything, he would be the reason for me to push the second book up on my list!!

What I Didn't Love
1) As much as I enjoyed reading this story, I didn't really feel a connection to the characters as much as I would have hoped. I mean I like them and they're fun to read about, but honestly if any of them died, I wouldn't really mind. At least from the first book. However, that might change as I continue on.

2) As much of a fun read as this book was, the story definitely felt predictable to me. I could tell what was going to happen, who was going to be the romantic interest, as well as who the guy was going to be in the love triangle.

                                                         FAVORITE QUOTES 
“Good luck explaining to God that you used to spank one of his heavenly beings."
Mom gave a startled laugh. "Sophie!"
"What? You did. I hope you like hot weather, Mom, that's all I'm saying.”
 “When someone tells you somebody’s been murdered, laughing is probably not the best response. You know, for future reference.

But laughing is exactly what I did.”

No comments:

Post a Comment