Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Book Review- The Hobbit


What can I say about this book.

Lets first start out with my first time reading this book, or more appropriately, TRIED to read this book. I read the first 10 or 15 pages and couldn't get into it. It wasn't what I thought and so I decided to not read it. The whole point of me picking up this book 2 years ago was because of the movie. Since I couldn't get into the book I figured I wouldn't like the movie either so I never went and saw the movie. FINALLY after two years, I decided on a whim to just watch the movie, and I'm SO GLAD I DID! I absolutely FELL IN LOVE with the two movies that were out and I needed more so I decided to finally watch The Lord of the Rings movies. And when that was over, I still needed more. So I decided to pick up The Hobbit again and I was SOOO glad that I did! This time I was able to get through it because I understood what I was getting into. Enjoy rambling on, lets get to this review! 

Title- The Hobbit 
Author- J R.R. Tolkien
Pages- 307
Rating- 5 out of 5
Companion/Sequel- Prequel to The Lord of the Rings

Goodreads Synopsis- In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.

What I Loved-
1) The Dwarves Barging in. This happens right in the beginning of the book and I just found it absolutely hysterical. It was enjoyable to read.
2) The Songs! In the movie they're not that many songs sung, however in the books they're quite a few and they're very enjoyable, and some were hilarious! 
3) More Detail! This book(obviously) had so much more detail than the movies. I mean some where just small moments, but I feel as though the those small details made the book so much better.
4) The Humor! This book was quite funny, which was surprising because I really didn't expect it to be. A lot of people get called fat in this book.
5) The Characters! They were all so enjoyable. And in case you're wondering I will name all the dwarves for you! -->Thorin, Fili, Kili, Balin, Dwalin, Oin, Gloin, Ori, Dori, Nori, Bifu, Bofur, Bombur <-- And then of course, Gandalf and Bilbo!


What I Didn't Love
1) There really isn't anything that I absolutely hated about this story. However, if I had to change one thing about it, it would be the action. As fun and enjoyable as this story is, I feel as if the action kind of fell flat. Another thing was that when the action was getting exciting, Biblo would get knocked out and we would miss it.

                                                         FAVORITE QUOTES
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.”

“The road goes ever on and on”

No comments:

Post a Comment