Friday, June 28, 2013

Book Review- The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

Title- The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
Author-Jennifer E. Smith
Pages- 236
Rating- 4 out of 5
Companion/Sequel- Stand Alone

Writing-3.5
Storyline/Plot-4.5
Characters-4

Overall- 4
Goodreads Synopsis- Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's sitting in her row.

A long night on the plane passes in the blink of an eye, and Hadley and Oliver lose track of each other in the airport chaos upon arrival. Can fate intervene to bring them together once more?

Quirks of timing play out in this romantic and cinematic novel about family connections, second chances, and first loves. Set over a twenty-four-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it. 


Positives-
1) I really enjoyed the idea for this story. Now I'm not a believer in love at first sight, however this story doesn't make you think that this could never happened. It was all chance, which makes it more realistic, in my opinion.

2) The characters in this story weren't bad. Although I've never dealt with what Hadley has, I could understand what she was going through. I could understand why she was so mad at her father, why she hasn't seen him in a year, and why she doesn't want to be there. Does that mean I necessarily agree with her, no, not really. It just means that I understand where she was coming from and as a reader, I feel that is an important part in this story and why I enjoyed it.

3) I really like the name Hadley! I don't  what it is about that name, but I just really like it and I do feel that, because of the name, I liked the main character just a bit more.

Negatives-
1) I found myself not fully invested in the story. I could just put it down and not worry about the characters, or what was going to happen next. As a reader, you really don't want to read those types of stories. You want something that will leave its mark on you. When you put it down you should be thinking, "what's going to happen next?" "will they end up together?" "will they find out the truth?" and at times I just didn't get that with this story.

2) Parts of the story, I felt, were unnecessary. This is self explanatory. Simply, I just felt as though some parts could have been cut out.

3) I'm not sure on how I feel with the ending! For me that ending didn't leave me feeling satisfied. Personally, I wanted to know more.

Overall I would  recommend this book. It was a quick read, very sweet, and something that I think you would enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment